Student Mail Policies and Procedures
Mail Code Assignments & Mailing Address
Mail and package receiving services are available to all students who reside in campus housing. Each residential student will be assigned a unique four-digit mail code to be used with the mailing address. This mail code number is used by Mail Services to be able to quickly identify the recipient and process the item as received and available for pick up. Assignments are made by the Mail Services department. New students arriving in the fall semester will be notified of their mail code assignment by email and regular mail the first week of August. Students who have not received a mail code assignment by the end of the second week of August should contact Mail Services by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|61 NEWCOMB PLACE #(four-digit mail code)
|NEW ORLEANS, LA 70118-5645
- Please use this format for all mail and packages sent to you at Tulane University. The last 3 lines of the address are all capitalized. NO alpha characters should appear with the four digit mail code number, (i.e. “BOX”, “SLOT”, “MB”, “MR”, or “PO”).
- Items addressed as PO BOX will be misrouted by the USPS to an alternate location in the city and will lead to delays in students receiving the item.
- Tulane Mail Services can accept items from all major carriers; the mailbox is NOT a PO Box address.
- Boldly marking the sides of all packages with the mail code number will improve handling time once the item arrives at Tulane.
- For online purchases, the mail code number can be used in the field for suite, apt, room, etc.
- If the student moves off campus for any reason, they will not be able to keep their mail code number and should make arrangements with mailers to receive items at their off-campus address.
- Students cannot receive mail for any other names or business names even if it has the correct mail code number. Students should notify Mail Services of their preferred name or nickname that may appear on their mail and packages.
Student Letter Mail Delivery Student
- USPS mail is delivered daily by the US Postal Service. This mail is sorted and made available for students to pick up throughout the day. Generally, sorting is complete by 4pm, Monday-Friday.
- You will receive an email notification when you have mail available for pick up. Please read your email carefully to determine whether your mail is ready for pick-up from the lockers located on the garden level of the Lavin-Bernick Center or from our Warren Hall location.
- It is the recipient’s responsibility to confirm that all entities corresponding to them by mail are using the correct address format. Your correct name and mail code must appear on all items sent to you. Mail incorrectly addressed will be subject to delay or returned to the sender for address correction.
The types of letter mail handled includes the following:
These classes of mail will be looked up if not properly addressed, but this will delay its availability:
- First Class (personal correspondence, greeting cards, bills)
- Periodicals (magazine subscriptions)
This class of mail will not be looked up if improperly addressed and will ber recycled per USPS procedure:
- Non-Profit Marketing/Standard mail
To help reduce waste mail, we invite you to download and use the Waste Free Mail App. For more information please visit https://wastefreemail.com.
Mis-marked Mail & Packages
If you pick up mail that was incorrectly sorted to you, please return it to Mail Services immediately. DO NOT OPEN IT. If it is after hours, you can return the mail to the outgoing mail box located at our Warren Hall location.
Students are responsible for immediately returning to Mail Services any items you receive in error or which are not addressed to you.
Student Package Information
Tulane Mail Services accepts packages for students throughout the business day.
Types of packages accepted at Mail Services:
- Items from major carriers USPS, UPS, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, Amazon, DHL
- Standard size items from Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy, Postmates
- Mail Services will accept certain perishable items. The recipient will receive a special notification when a perishable item arrives. The recipient is responsible for picking up this item as soon as possible.
- Mail Services cannot refrigerate items. Items not claimed within 3 days will be disposed of or returned to the sender.
If sending medication to a student, please first email Mail Services management at email@example.com. We can put an alert in our system to flag the item and make sure the student picks this package up as soon as possible.
Items Not Accepted at Mail Services:
- Prohibited items include: Extra Large Furniture including futons, sofas, recliners, mattresses and bed frames.
- Also prohibited are rugs over 5'x7', TV/Monitors over 50", refrigerators, microwaves, toasters or toaster ovens. Refer to your housing agreement for other prohibited items.
- Freight & Extra-Large Items: Mail Services will not handle freight items (large furniture, pallets, etc.). It is the recipient’s responsibility to arrange for a direct delivery of these types of items.
- Grocery delivery: Mail Services will not handle grocery delivery (Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, and others). The recipient must arrange to meet the carrier and take delivery of these items directly.
Items marked as alcohol will require validation that the recipient is 21 years of age or older. These shipments will be referred to the office of Student Affairs for validation. If the intended recipient is under 21, these items will be refused and returned to the sender. These shipments may only be picked up by the addressee; designations for an alternate pick up are not permitted in this case.
All items must be sorted and logged into our internal tracking system before the package can be picked up. An e-mail notification will be sent to the student’s Tulane email address from Tulane Mail Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) informing them that a package is available for pickup. Please read your email carefully to determine whether your mail is ready for pick-up from the lockers located on the garden level of the Lavin-Bernick Center or from our Warren Hall location.
Please note that tracking systems used by USPS and other carriers (UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc.) do not necessarily indicate when a package is delivered to Tulane Mail Services. In most cases, USPS items are scanned as "delivered" or "delivered to agent" before reaching our loading dock.
Due to heavy volume, it may take time before your item is processed. Please be patient. Packages are not considered received until they are logged into the Tulane Mail Service tracking system, when you will receive the email from email@example.com.
Second & Final Notifications
Second notices will be sent for items not picked up after 1 week. A final notice will be sent after 2 weeks. Upon receipt of the final notice, the recipient has 2 working days to claim the item or it will be returned to the sender.
Package Pick Up
- To claim a package, the student must bring their Splash Card (Tulane ID) to the Mail Services counter.
- If the student does not have their Splash Card, a valid photo ID can be accepted. We can accept a photo of your ID on a cell phone.
- Packages should be picked up within 24 hours of notification.
- Students will be required to sign (or tap Splash Card) for all packages.
Special Package Pickup Authorization
- If for any reason you are unable to pick up a package due to illness or emergency, you can designate another student to pick up the item for you.
- You must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, mail code and the name of the person you are authorizing to pick up your item.
- Do not give anyone your Splash Card, as they will need their own ID to pick up your item for you.
- No one may pick up another student’s item without this written authorization.
Getting Your Packages to Your Residence Hall Room
- Hand trucks are available to Tulane students to borrow from Mail Services. In order to borrow a hand truck, the student is required to leave a cell phone as collateral to insure the prompt return of the equipment.
- Hand trucks should be returned within 2 hours. Hand trucks not returned within 2 hours will be subject to a charge for the value of the equipment to the student’s accounts receivable.
- DO NOT leave a hand truck unattended. The student borrowing the hand truck is responsible if lost or stolen.
Mail Services will make notation of items that appear to be damaged as they are received from the carrier. If you discover additional internal damage or missing contents you must report this to the carrier. Mail Services can assist you if necessary, but all claims must be handled through the original shipper. You should not discard any packaging until the carrier tells you to do so, as they may wish to inspect the item.
Package Inquiry/Lost Package Tracers
If there appears to be a problem with an expected delivery, please have the carrier and tracking number information available before asking for assistance.
Incorrect Address and Missing Mail Code Number Items
Items received with a missing or incorrect mail code will be subject to delays in processing. Properly addressed items will get first priority, and incorrectly addressed items may not be ready until late in the day or the following day depending on volume.
Unidentified Recipient Items
Mail Services often receives items with an unknown name and no mail code. Many times, misidentified packages are addressed to a parent or person ordering merchandise for a student. Items received with an unknown recipient will be logged in based on the information on the package, these items will be held for 5 working days before being returned to the sender. To claim an item, please have as much information as you can about an item, such as tracking number and name of sender.
STUDENT MAIL FORWARDING
Moving Off-Campus, Leave of Absence, or Leaving the University
- If you leave Tulane or relocate to an off-campus residence, it is your responsibility to inform Tulane Mail Services of your new address. Please complete a Tulane Mail Services Mail Forwarding Form (you can request the form by sending an e-mail to email@example.com).
- We will forward all USPS first class, priority, express, periodical mail and packages for a period of 3 months.
- We cannot forward USPS classes of mail & packages (parcel select, media, global).
- We cannot forward mail to an international address. Domestic addresses only.
- We cannot forward items sent by a private carrier (UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL).
- Items unable to be forwarded will be returned to the sender.
- Be sure to inform all parties that send you mail of your new address as soon as possible. Be sure to update your address with all online retailers (Amazon, etc.) that you frequently use.
- You must also update your address with the Tulane Registrar's Office via Gibson Online.
Summer Break Forwarding
Mail Services will forward mail during the summer for all students away from Tulane. Please complete the Forwarding/Mail code Renewal Form with your summer forwarding information and future status. Summer forwarding begins about the third week in May and runs until the first week of August. Only designated types of USPS mail will be forwarded. All Items from private carriers will be returned to the sender.
If your forwarding address is international you can request that we hold your mail during the summer and make it available when you return for the fall semester.
Please note we do not offer forwarding over winter break.
Outgoing Mail Services
Mail Services will accept pre-paid returns for most major carriers. Items must be packaged with a carrier return label that contains the sender’s name and address. It is the sender’s responsibility to keep a copy or photo of the tracking number for the package. These items are collected by carriers Monday-Friday, items will ship out the same day or following day depending on the drop off time. Mail Services takes no responsibility for the carriers return service.
Stamped mail is accepted at Mail Services. Stamped mail should be dropped in the mail receptacle located next to the service counter. Mail is collected by the USPS, Monday-Friday at 4pm.
FedEx pre-paid returns should be dropped off at the FedEx Office in the LBC. FedEx also offers full retail shipping services and packaging. Credit cards or FedEx account numbers are accepted for payment.